Monday, January 16, 2006

People... ugh

So I think what's difficult is expectations. Just don't have them, life is easier. Nothing. Get nothing, expect nothing. Surprise comes when someone exceeds your expectations. There's nothing like that. It reminds me then that I need to value something I didn't. But then don't expectations just go up, and then aren't you setting yourself up for disappointment?

Why bother. I can't control people. Let go.

And I can't be everything to everyone. I'm sorry if your upset, but those are your feelings, your choice.

Three times this weekend, once a woman at the toll booth - upset and rude, because I gave her 5 pennies. 5 pennies. It was like I killed someone. She was rude, just ignored me, gave me a dirty look at shook her head. She gave me my change back in 5 nickels, instead of a quarter. Guess she got me. I mean she did, not for the nickels, but that she made me upset. I hate her. I hate her for how she made me feel. let it go I say to myself.

The postal worker. Rude to everyone in line. Then me. No help, no assistance. I leave and go to UPS.

These people tire me, but again I have expectations as a customer that the "clerk" should be polite, friendly, helpful. They're not.

Now I have had good experiences, don't get me wrong, but generally I'd rather just do self-checkout, use automated toll payment, go to the ATM, shop online - because the odds (about 50/50) of getting someone pleasant on the other side of a transaction is getting less and less. It's a problem with America. It feeds on itself, as I fight not to get upset, and angry and frustrated and turn in to these people. It's a battle.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's terrible! We gave a toll-person 10 pennies this weekend and didn't get any attitude... I do have to say that the 50/50 ratio improves in the South--but then you're in territory where they're overly friendly and ask all kinds of personal questions. There has to be a balance somewhere, though, right?

10:32 AM  
Blogger happykat said...

reminds me of Ghostbusters II
sad

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home